If you like writing scary stories, prefer a twist of the macabre, or want to find out how to create and publish horror, come along to the following Gondor Writers’ Centre for an intense, two day workshop.
Writing Scary Stories
Crank up the tension and suspense in your horror writing. Whether you write fun, spooky tales for kids, gothic ghost stories for teens, or gory horror for adults, there are essential elements to every good scary story.
Learn how to plan, plot and create suitably spooky settings, creepy characters and suspenseful situations for a story to rival Lovecraft. You’ll also find out where the best markets are for publishing your scary stories. Everything you need for writing scary stories in one weekend.
Dates: AUGUST 8th & 9th
Do two days or just one
To celebrate the new writing centre, this weekend workshop is available at a VERY SPECIAL PRICE!
Or $50 for one day
To Book: Call Gondor Writers’ Centre on 07 54 981 332
Or get more information at: www.gondorwriterscentre.com/workshops.html
Gondor Writers’ Centre is located in the lovely hinterland between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast at Kilcoy. Just over an hour’s drive from Brisbane and you’ll be writing in a spectacularly serene setting — perfect for a writers’ group getaway! Why not make it a special treat and book the weekend package. Elaine and Ron, Gondor’s hosts, will take care of all your accommodation booking needs.
The classes will be small and intimate, and you’ll get a lot of direct help from Charmaine when planning and crafting your story.
Here’s what we cover in Writing Spooky Stories:
- Introductions — What fiction do you write or read? Get to know you classmates
- What is horror? — The genre and its subgenres
- Time management — Your writing time — Activity
- Planning — Where to start. Covers character, setting, conflict, ideas, and identifying readers.
- Plotting — Activity
- Story inclusions — Elements of horror
- Story Structure — Polishing that outline — Activity
- Opening Hooks — Activity
- Drafting your story — Activity
- Your writing — Sharing your outlines or stories for feedback
- Redrafting — Checking your structure at scene level — Activity
- Editing — Tips for tightening your story — Activity
- Elevator Pitch — Promoting your story — Activity
- Markets — Publishing your stories
- Support — How to find beta readers, critiques or writing buddies
- Business of Writing — Activity
I hope to see you there.